Sunday, December 3, 2006

On Voting

For those of us concerned with the question of what an anti-state praxis might look like, the question of voting is a particularly perplexing one. The most important things are never at stake in a political decision, be it for a candidate or ballot initiative--we are still saddled with the same system, although there may be alternate views of how best to run it. Nevertheless, it can't be denied that real issues ARE put into play, and they can be very important to those they affect; at times, maybe even a matter of life or death.

A voter boycott, like veganism, is a kind of refusal that can seem like a purist pose. After all, a massive, intentional voter boycott has not been seriously proposed as a tactic for social change by anyone that I'm aware of; all the arguments against voting I've heard tend to treat it as a personal choice, or at best a potential collective "no" that is recommended on its merits, without hope of any really efficacious result. And I find "if everybody" arguments highly unsatisfying, which is one of the reasons I am no longer a vegan.

If the government wants to ask my advice on how it should be run, why shouldn't I give it? It's true that I can't hope to seriously affect the outcome of an election with my single vote, but voting costs nothing but a few moments of my time, so it would seem there is nothing to lose by doing so.

Voting is something that gives the illusion of participation by putting certain questions into play while leaving the really big questions entirely out of play. However, the rub is that the questions that ARE in play are often, as I've already stated, very important. On the one hand, a small and perhaps insignificant act that costs me nothing; on the other, what is perhaps an empty pose of refusal that, in any event, can claim even less efficacy than voting can. Whereas it could perhaps be argued that voting has a small effect (i.e., if I can identify myself with a certain statistical grouping or bloc), not voting clearly has none. The scale seems to tip, ever so slightly, towards the ballot.

However, if there is to be something like a liberatory praxis, I think it would have to be a sort of acting that is other than a repetition of the white noise and empty chatter that surrounds us as beings awash in public discourse, yet alienated from public decision-making. We are divested of any ability to determine the conditions of our lives outside of a very narrow sphere, and in place of this power we are handed the vote. When I vote, I take up my position as a citizen, or a political subject who is asked to ratify his own exlusion by pretending to participate in decisions I, in fact, have no real part in; I am confronted with alien conditions not of my making and asked to act out a charade to convince myself that I am their source. It is widely recognized, even by avid partisans, that elections are yet another consumer spectacle, a choice between two products that is largely determined by advertising.

Not voting is indeed a small act of refusal, but perhaps it is a crucial one; it is my exit from a sphere that I was never really in to begin with, or the refusal of an illusion. Uneasy as I am with some of this terminology, and unsure as I am of the content, I will venture to say that voting is, objectively, the enactment of a false consciousness, no matter the subjective thought that accompanies it, regardless of how much cynicism runs along with it. Not voting effects nothing, affects nothing, acheives nothing, issues forth in no product. But perhaps it is the proper way to begin to move toward what I would hope would be a liberatory social praxis.

5 comments:

chriswnw said...

It seems that you're engaging in rather extensive deliberation over a choice that you yourself acknowledge to be of little relevance or impact -- better to simply not think about it :D

At any rate, I do not believe that meaningful participation in government or politics is something that ordinary people desire or demand -- if they did, they would have forced their way into that arena long ago. The few that do really desire to effect politial change already do play meaningful roles, either as politicians, professional activists, or terrorists. But how important is political participation or the actualization of an abstract form of democracy to the average person -- or even to you or I -- compared to the importance of social status, getting laid, eating, having friends to hang out with, or indulging life's simple pleasures? Judging by our decisions, not very.

Also, keeping in mind that we live in a large-scale civilization with an economy based upon an extensive division of labor, not everybody CAN participate meaningfully even if they wanted to. How would this world look if everybody was a carpenter, or if everybody was a yoga instructor? Impossible -- such professions can only be supported by the existence of other professions. A society composed of people who devote most of their time to "meaningful political participation" is a society composed exclusively of professional politicians -- and ones who will soon be dead from starvation :P

chriswnw said...

oh, and that was chris w who wrote that.

bzfgt said...

Thanks for the comments, CW.

I wouldn't want to suggest that the current social order could be maintained while incorporating full, meaningful public participation. The very idea is absurd. But you already know that's not what I'm talking about, so it's a curious post. Naturally, the fact that we don't really have a hand in creating the social conditions under which we live is not an accidental or adventitious aspect of modern society, but is, rather, essential. Society would have to be fundamentally transformed to change that. Do I think that this might happen? Who knows? I certainly don't want to spend most of my energy worrying about how to change society as a whole, any more than anyone else does, because it's the one thing I have the least chance of having any impact on. But that doesn't mean that I am not worried about it at all, and it doesn't mean that I want to take part in the charade of participation. Of course people don't want to spend most of their time sitting around in tedious meetings and councils, or whatever it is you have in mind. That doesn't mean they wouldn't want to have a hand in deciding how it is that they are going to live, if they had a chance.

chriswnw said...

Yes, I know that you do not look favorably upon the preservation of the "current social order." However, I am speaking of of ANY society that relies upon a complex division of labor. In a society where nobody specializes in any particular craft, people can perhaps have an equal say in how things are run, but we both know that the cost of that is no industry, no intellectual/artistic class, no computers, no music beyond simple folk music, no movies, etc. Maybe that doesn't bother -- the viability of such an arrangement depends entirely upon whether your want it or not.

Oh, and I DO think that people like having "a hand in deciding how it is that they are going to live" -- the fact that repeatedly choose one course of action instead of all possible avenues is sufficient indication of that. However, that doesn't necessarily involve being political. I am having a "hand in deciding how I am going to live" by making noodles instead of a sandwich -- or less flippantly, by studying electrical engineering instead of french literature, or by choosing a downtown condominium instead of a McMansion in the suburbs.

--CW

bzfgt said...

Forgive me for saying so, but sometimes I think you are being willfully obtuse in these sorts of conversations. I would have thought it obvious that when I said people might want to have a "hand in deciding how it is that they are going to live," I didn't mean deciding what to eat for dinner, what to study in school, or where to live, although the latter is often determined by one's economic status and where one works. What I meant was the framework of choices one is confronted with to begin with, the social economic, and physical milieu in which people live. Nor do I mean to suggest that this is something people can ever just freely conjure out of nothing for themselves, or that we could live in a situation that doesn't carry with it the weight of past decisions and the inertia of default situations. But as it stands now, the conditions of my life are something I have very little freedom with regard to. That doesn't mean that I can't attain a fair degree of maneuverability within those conditions, nor does it suggest that some of the options that come with such maneuverability are not pretty groovy.

I'm not sure why a society that doesn't rely on a "complex division of labor" means a society where "nobody specializes in any particular craft." A society not based around mass production, I would hope, would still be able to encourage technical creativity.

But I hate getting led down this path--now, I have to give you a complete blueprint for a future utopian society just to justify why I think that people should be concerned with a more meaningful way to determine the conditions of their lives than voting can give them.